Sunday, January 18, 2009

My 1st Post - Carlos



I visited Viera Wetlands during the week of January 12th, 2009. It was the middle of the day and overcast, so I didn't have my hopes up. This time of year in Central Florida is very active and I was hoping to get some decent shots of migratory birds, which can be at the wetlands any time of day.
I saw "Carlos" on one of the wetland embankments eating a large fish head. Carlos, as I later discovered, is a well known bird in this area of Brevard County. He is tagged and also has a radio transmitter attached to his back. I don't know if this is the reason he seemed so tame, but he was eating this fish head in front of my vehicle and wouldn't move until I either inched my car up near him, or I got out of the car and approached to around 5 feet. He would then fly about 50 yards up the embankment, and we'd play the entire game again. This happened 3 or 4 times, and undoubtedly I have quite a few pictures of this beautiful bird... I'll likely post more.

No comments:

Post a Comment